(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
Here's my take on the status of Big XII Running backs after 4 weeks of play.
1. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State - 76 yards on 22 carries
Not a great game for Thomas but hey, you can't have 200 yards and 2 touchdowns every week...He still leads all running backs. He'll have a week off before he has to run against the black shirts of Nebraska. Do they even call them that anymore?
2. Roy Helu Jr., Rex Burkhead, Taylor Martinez, Nebraska - 205 yards, 1 TD on 48 carries
A very strange game against South Dakota State. None of them really did anything special, yet Helu was getting carries with 30 seconds left in the game. I'll give them a pass this week soley on the premise of overlooking inferior competition.
3. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State- OFF
Off last week preparing for a big game against Texas A&M...I fully expect him to be the nation's leading RB on Friday morning. Hear that Aggie?
4. Demarco Murray, Oklahoma - 67 yards, 1 TD on 28 carries
Another week and another piss poor YPC average for Murray. Cincinnati did a good job limiting him and guess what? They only lost by 2 points... The first decent team to stop Murray will beat OU. Hear that Longhorn?
5. Christine Michael, Texas A&M - OFF
He'll face an OSU defense Thursday night that has been pretty stingy against the run. He's been the only bright spot for an Aggie offense that has struggled. It will be a good test for him - and Cowboy Defense.
6. Alexander Robinson, Iowa State- 74 yards. 1 TD on 15 carries
A decent day for Robinson. He's not really living up to the preseason hype but come to think of it - most of that was from his own coach. He's got a tough road ahead with games against Texas Tech, Utah, Oklahoma and Texas.
7. James Sims, Kansas- 115 yards, 2 TD's on 16 carries
A solid day by the freshman. Put this kid on the radar. He'll be sporadic this year but could develop into a serious back in years to come...
8. Fozzy Whittaker, Texas - 14 yards on 7 carries.
UCLA absolutely shut down the Texas running game in Austin. The Longhorns finished with just 85 yards TOTAL. Daniel Thomas had 234 yards against the same team in Manhattan.There's trouble brewing in Austin and it starts with the lack of a solid running game.
9. Rodney Stewart, Colorado - OFF
We'll know more about Stewart when he faces Georgia this weekend...He's at #8 by default really.
10. Jay Finley, Baylor - 56 yards on 15 carries
Another average day for Finely. The real running back is under center.
11. K Lawrence, H Josey, M Murphy D Moore and B Gabbert, Missouri - 236 yards and 5 TD's on 38 carries
They don't deserve to be called by anything than a first initial. Missouri is 1 week away from being removed from the rankings. I'm sick of this shit. Not one player had more than 9 carries yet 5 players had a touchdown. A running back by committee of the HIGHEST order.