A fairly nice list of running backs churned out by the University of Oklahoma. Most of these guys appear on several "Top 50" players' lists for the Sooners.
Problem is only three of those players have played in the past 27 years. In fact, the gap between Tillman and Griffin goes from 1985 to 2000.
For a football program that has been recognized on more than one list as a BETTER RB PRODUCING PROGRAM than Oklahoma State, that gap and the current vacuum at that position is quite frankly, shocking. In 2011 the position was eventually taken over by a walk-on.
For comparison, since Spencer Tillman, OSU has produced the following list...
And currently Joseph Randle, who will no doubt join this list as another OSU running back drafted to the NFL.
You know me...I love me some stats...and looking at the last 9 years of rushing numbers (2004 is as far back as ESPN goes, and I was too lazy to find another source), which inlcudes this year's production, is interesting to say the least.
- OSU has averaged over 200 yards per game in five seasons...OU once
- OSU has averaged 2+ rushing TD's per game 7 times...OU 5 times
- OSU has averaged 5+ ypc 6 times...OU 2 times
- #4 rushing offense (OSU) vs #9 rushing defense (OU)
- #7 rushing offense (OU) vs #2 rushing defense (OSU)