Introducing Headlines. A new weekly post covering the stories of the week by grouping different articles on each topic together. Get the latest view points, wrinkles, angles, and information on Oklahoma State in the news, all in one spot! Love it or hate it, either way you can't complain about not having enough to read over the weekend!
Must Reads of the Week!
Must Reads of the Week!
Brian Williams is transferring
Williams announced that he will not return to Oklahoma State next season. He has decided to transfer from the program. He will graduate this may, and will be eligible to play immediately.
- The loss of Williams is disappointing. | Tulsa World
- Early indications have him looking to go back home to Louisiana | CRFF
- "It’s been four years and it’s just time to move on," | The Advertiser
Marcus Smart is headed to the NBA
This wasn't the smoothest year for Marcus, but I'm proud to say he's was a Cowboy. I'm looking forward to watching him play at the next level.
- He's made it official | NewsOK
- Good stuff on Smart's decision to leave | Bleacher Report
- Draft Express has Smart going #6 in the draft, but admit they haven't taken team needs into consideration. | Draft Express
- Gary Parrish and Zach Harper have him going 8th, and Matt Moore has him the 10th pick in the draft | CBS Sports
- Sean O'Donnell has Marcus going to the Sacramento Kings with the 7th overall pick. | Bleacher Report
- Excellent work by Cody Stavenhagen on the rise, fall, and redemption of Marcus Smart. | O'Colly
Daxx Garman Injured?
Last week Brandon Weeden told John Helsley, "I think Daxx Garman can just flat-out spin it," Weeden said. "I think he sits back in the pocket and throws a good ball, very accurate." Excitement for Daxx's potential quickly turned to heartbreak when it was rumored Garman went down with a torn ACL in practice. That was last Friday, since people claiming to be close to the QB have said the injury wasn't serious. Now a week later we are still waiting on official word to the extent of his injury.
Perhaps we should have asked Gundy to clarify which Monday.
Mike Gundy says QB Daxx Garman "turned his knee" Friday... Says they'll know more Monday #okstate— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) April 5, 2014
Ronald Jones II has committed to OK State!
Rivals lists Jones as the 2nd best RB in the country for the 2015 class, and after watching his video it's easy to see why! I am loving his speed and field vision.
- He committed after attending the Orange Blitz | CRFF
- Rivals has him as a 4-star | Rivals
- "As a junior in 2013, Jones ran for 2,406 yards and 39 touchdowns, averaging 9.9 yards per carry as he led McKinney North to the second round of the Class 4A Division I playoffs." | Scout
- He has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona State, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Iowa, Louisville, Miami, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Oklahoma, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Tulsa. | SB Nation
- He's also picked up offers from Auburn, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, and USC | 247 Sports
What's not to like?
Something called the Orange Blitz.
The Oklahoma State fans were denied the annual spring game. Instead the Cowboys put on an open practice called the Orange Blitz.
- What it's like to attend a practice | CRFF
- J.W. Walsh is the Quarterback | NewsOK
- Some actually preferred the open practice to the spring game. | NewsOK
- "[Walsh] has become more of a leader. He’s staying in the pocket more, which is good. Maybe a year or two years ago, he’d get nervous back there and start scrambling. But now he’s sitting in there and throwing. And that’s great." - hmm. Not sure how I feel about this. | ESPN
"Better for the fans" pic.twitter.com/laYWXknvqc— Cody Stavenhagen (@CodyStavenhagen) April 5, 2014
Michigan safety to transfer to Oklahoma State
Josh Furman announced on Twitter than he will be coming to Stillwater for his senior year. He will bring some much needed depth to the position.
- Getting some unexpected, but much needed help at Safety | Tulsa World
- He's hoping to follow in Tyler Patmon's footsteps | CRFF
- Furman was arrested for domestic assault in 2012, and was subsequently suspended for two months. He was eventually found not guilty, and reinstated to the team. The "assault" seemed to be largely overblown, and I wouldn't expect any off the field issues to arise at OSU. | USA Today
- Rivals listed Furman as a 3-star recruit, and the 38th best safety in the 2010 class. | Rivals
Eddie Sutton was denied a spot in the Hall of Fame for another year
How is he not in already? What's a guy got to do?
- He should get in one day (if he doesn't it's a crime) but, it might take awhile | NewsOK
- "I’m looking at some other names in the 2014 hall of fame class. You tell me: Did they make a more significant contribution to basketball than Sutton? Some of them made more baskets, but that's not the same thing." | Tulsa World
- It's strange to think about which decisions can change your life forever. What if Eddie had signed that pro baseball offer all those years ago? | Tulsa World
Football Position Reviews
Football is over 100 days away, but why let that stop us from talking about it. I'm going back a little more than a week, but who cares, it's football!
- QB - Look's like Walsh is the crowd favorite | CRFF
- RB - Cannot wait to see "the Freek" in action | NewsOK
- RB - Roland, Childs & Hill, Oh my! | CRFF
- RB - "I tell [Rennie Childs] he’s gotta grind every day," Roland said. "Every day’s a grind. You gotta be consistent. That’s what the coaches love." | NewsOK
- WR - Oklahoma State is in good hands. | CRFF
- O Line - A good read on Oklahoma State's new O-Line coach, and the challenges he faces this upcoming season | NewsOK
- O Line - Welp, this isn't good | CRFF
- O-Line - "If Wickline was here we wouldn't even be talking about this, but we now have an unknown at a position that had been a given for 9 years." | CRFF
- LB - Could be the best tandem in the Big 12 | CRFF
- Secondary - I'm really looking forward to what Kevin Peterson can do. Not much experience at Safety. | CRFF
- Secondary - "We are just proud of each other. If I make a big play, he feels like he's got to make a big play. If he makes a big play, I feel like I've got to make a big play. We just have got our own competitive thing going on and there is much love." Lampkin and Peterson push each other, and yes, there is much to love! | Tulsa World
- Secondary - Tim Duffie will be breaking in a two new starting Safeties against FSU | Tulsa World
- D Line - Some work to do, but should be a good group | CRFF
More Cowboy Headlines
- Jeremiah Tshimanga is hanging it up. | CRFF
- An early look at OSU's new O-Line coach Bob Connelly, and how the team in responding to the change | NewsOK
- Why is Travis Ford still here? | CRFF
- Cowboy Basketball recruiting recap | PFB
- I would be happy with anything better than 7-5 | CRFF
- Congrats to Eric and his spectacular bracket for winning the CRFF Bracket Challenge! | Yahoo
- A great week for Cowboy baseball. | PFB
- Peyton Manning will be speaking at OSU | okstate.edu
Only in "North Texas"
Anyone think he'll ever have a courtside seat?