First things first... T. Boone Pickens has a podcast. Did anyone else know this? As if his twitter feed wasn’t great enough, the guy can now entertain me on road trips!
Pickens hosts the “T. Boone Pickens Podcast” in which the oil baron and Oklahoma State benefactor plays the role of interviewer talking with different individuals and experts about energy, oil, and other topics.
In his latest “episode”, Boone speaks with New York Times reporter Joe Nocera. Nocera is actually the interviewer this time, discussing a wide-range of topics. Among those topics, including why Pickens cares about OSU athletics.
“I wanted the school to get competitive, and we were not competitive... I wanted to get competitive with OU.”
A few other interesting notes in the interview:
- Pickens is pretty disappointed with Gundy’s record against the Sooners (aren’t we all), but does get excited about OSU’s record against Texas over the past decade.
- Pickens talking about quail hunting with Holder.
- In regards to the Big 12’s decision not to expand, “It probably will.... the Big 12 with 10 teams, that looks pretty stupid.”
- Pickens may have helped one of the league’s newer members get in.
- Presidents of multiple schools who were considered for Big 12 expansion tried to get Pickens to help them get into the league.
You can watch the whole interview or just skip to the Oklahoma State and Big 12 portions which begin at 15:40. You can check out Pickens’ website, “PickensPlan” for a lot more.