Today, the D1Baseball.com Preseason Top 25 rankings were released.
The Cowboys, looking to improve on their 43-22 (16-8 Big 12) record, were not in the preseason rankings.
After finishing 4th in the NCAA D1 College World Series, the Oklahoma State Cowboys are not even in the Top 25 entering this year.
Big 12 foe TCU claims the top spot in the poll, with Florida, Florida State, South Carolina, and LSU rounding out the top five. Texas Tech is the only other Big 12 member in the top 25, claiming the 14th spot. Here’s the full rankings.
Let’s look at who the Cowboys have lost in the offseason.
- Thomas Hatch - RHP - 3rd round draft pick - Chicago Cubs
- Donnie Walton - SS - 5th round - Seattle Mariners
- Remey Reed - RHP - 6th round - Miami Marlins
- Garrett Williams - LHP - 7th round - San Francisco Giants
- Michael Mertz - RHP - 14th round - Miami Marlins
- J.R. Davis - 2B - 15th round - St. Louis Cardinals
- Collin Theroux - C - 32nd round - Oakland A’s
- Conor Costello - RHP - 32nd round - Los Angeles Dodgers
Tyler Buffett, Trey Cobb, and Dustin Williams were drafted, but announced they were coming back to play another season in the Orange and Black.
Tyler Buffett was recently named a Second Team Preseason All-American.
So are those losses enough to drop us out of the Top 25 when we were one of the best four teams in America last year? Apparently so.
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do....