Hey dudes and dudettes. If you’ve been too busy perfecting your triple monitor setup at your desk for March Madness and haven’t had time to keep up with Oklahoma State athletics, don’t worry, I got you. Last week was busy for OSU and the rest of the Big 12, so let’s get into it!
It’s March, which means basketball is king. College basketball conference tournaments were last week, and as everyone knows, the NCAA Tournament bracket was released on Sunday afternoon. ***Spoiler*** We didn’t get a No. 1 seed.
Oklahoma State secured a No. 5 seed in the Big 12 tournament, and they drew No. 4 Iowa State. The Pokes dropped both games against the Cyclones during the regular season, and the trend continued, as Oklahoma State lost 92-83.
Monte Morris was effective all night, and Deonte Burton was a big problem. With a 6’5 / 250 pound frame and a Zach Randolph-like offensive game, the Cowboys had no one to defend Burton. Actually, I’m fairly confident that the only person on the team that could actually body that human bowling ball is Brad Underwood himself.
Iowa State did go on to win the Big 12 Championship, so at least we weren’t the only team to get steamrolled by the Cyclones. Whatever man. Big 12 basketball championships are for nerds anyways. It’s all about the Big Dance!
Who's ready to go dancing? #marchmadness #okstate pic.twitter.com/mMudQXOdr0— Cowboy Basketball (@OSUMBB) March 12, 2017
If Trey Reeves doing the cabbage patch doesn’t get you pumped for the tourney, then get outta here. Oklahoma State received a No. 10 seed and are matched up with 7-seed Michigan. Here is the Midwest side of the bracket:
You can view the full bracket here.
CRFF will be dropping a lot of coverage over the week, so make sure to stay tuned. This week is going to be liiiiiiit!
Oklahoma State held its pro day for the now-former football players who are looking to show that they deserve a shot at the next level. It looks like there was a lot of interest in this pro day from the NFL, as every team had a scout in attendance.
We had a great Pro Day today and are proud of what this group of Cowboys has done for the #okstate program! RECAP: https://t.co/vg2I2JuhGL pic.twitter.com/MDczPOCZho— Cowboy Football (@CowboyFB) March 9, 2017
Hayden Barber and the guys from PFB did an awesome job putting together a Pro Day overview video. Check it out!
Pro Day standouts:
- Motekiai Maile - 27 bench press reps (225 lbs.)
- Lenzy Pipkins - 4.42 40-yard dash
- Blake Jarwin - 21 bench press reps (225 lbs.)
- Keegan Metcalf - is the Hulk
- Jhajuan Seales - 4.40 40-yard dash, 41.5 inch vert jump
- Chris Carson - 39 inch vert jump, 4.29 second short shuttle
- Ben Grogan - 14 bench press reps (225 lbs.)
- Ashton Lampkin - 4.45 40-yard dash, worked out for Detroit Lions after Pro Day
WAIT A SECOND
Ben Grogan had 14 reps on the bench?!?! Grogan - 14 reps. Christian McCaffrey - 10 reps. Banana Land, y’all.
Last week’s series with South Dakota State didn’t start off great, as we dropped a close game by a score of 2-1 on Friday. Rain pushed Saturday’s game to Sunday, and Sunday’s double header was allllll Cowboys.
Game 1: OSU 6 - SDS 3
Game 2: OSU 8 - SDS 3
Garrett McCain had himself a day, batting 6-9, including one triple and one dinger. He also added three runs, one steal and four RBIs.
Recap & highlights from the Cowboys' DH sweep of South Dakota State on Sunday at Allie P.: https://t.co/jg5OjLKyEM pic.twitter.com/KQS2p2hwGQ— Cowboy Baseball (@OSUBaseball) March 13, 2017
What’s Happening Around the Big 12?
“Are you kidding me?”
Baker Mayfield tackled by officers. NSFW language. #Sooners pic.twitter.com/bctCWeWcD8— Eric Bailey (@EricBaileyTW) March 10, 2017
Mayfield has already issued an apology, and if you ask me, nothing else will come of this incident. Twitter had a field day with it though...
The most dominant football player I’ve ever seen in real life is coming back to football. Yes, the former Texas Longhorn legend is a bit past his prime, but seeing Vince Young behind center will be a nice nostalgic moment for all Big 12 fans. His fans from Austin, TX might have to travel a little ways to watch him play though. Vince Young will be slingin’ the pigskin in Saskatchewan, home of Joni Mitchell, Trey Lyles and probably Big Foot.
“I’m thinking about trying to win games & to win a Grey Cup.”— Sask. Roughriders (@sskroughriders) March 10, 2017
The Riders' newest QB is focused on one thing.
READ| https://t.co/ldjIyWYbMq pic.twitter.com/yo2YeScaHe
Who knows, maybe this is one of those “major setbacks for a major comeback” moments, but probably not. Good luck Vince.
What’s Happening at CRFF?
- Obviously this upcoming week is huge for Oklahoma State, as being involved in March Madness is always the end goal of every basketball season. CRFF is hosting a March Madness Bracket Challenge, you have to come try your luck!
- CRFF writer, Micah Allen, did an awesome job checking in with the Oklahoma State tennis teams.
Tweet of the Week
So, I woke up Sunday morning and I was scrolling through Twitter. The usual. All of the sudden, I see that Doug Gottlieb has just committed murder on my twitter feed.
Bad news for #OU grads https://t.co/VsZjUzGAxc— Doug Gottlieb (@GottliebShow) March 12, 2017
#RIPOUGrads When I witnessed this gruesome act, I almost couldn’t help but hear Jim Ross’ voice in my head.
What’s Going on This Week?
- Men’s basketball plays Michigan in the NCAA Tournament on Friday at 11:15 a.m. CST. You can view the game on CBS or stream it on the March Madness Live app. LET’S GO POKES!!!
- Baseball has a two-game series with New Mexico starting on Tuesday, and then a three-game series against Northwestern State starting on Friday.
- Wrestling has the NCAA Championships starting on Thursday.
- Women’s tennis is in Las Vegas taking on Washington State today, and then come home to face Texas in Stillwater on Friday.