Oklahoma State (a.k.a. #golfschool) has had a long list of successful golf stars that have came through the program, including big names such as Charles Howell III, Hunter Mahan, Bo Van Pelt, Alex Norén and, of course, Ricky Fowler. Add Casey Wittenburg to that list.
The 32-year-old from Memphis, TN, won his third tournament on the Web.com Tour by three strokes yesterday, carding a four-round score of 21-under at the Chitimacha Louisiana Open. It was his first victory since 2012, which was the year when he won the same tournament by eight strokes.
Wittenberg isn’t the only former Cowboy to have success this weekend though. The leaderboards across the country had Cowboys near the top.
- Taylor Gooch finished T5 in the same tournament as Wittenburg
- Ian Davis finished T22 in the Honduras Open
- Peter Uihlein finished T5 in the Puerto Rico Open
- Alex Noren narrowly lost to eventual champion Dustin Johnson in the WGC Match Play quarterfinals
- Charles Howell III dropped his WGC Match to Jon Rahm, the runner-up of the tournament
Overall, it was a great weekend for Cowboy alumni, as they represented their school well. Rickie Fowler took the weekend off to get ready for the Masters, which will be played next week.