Saturday’s game against Texas Tech was tough to watch. Take a look at how future Cowboys’ played in their high school games this week for a little optimism!
Shane Illingworth, Quarterback
Norco went up against King last week and came out with a 56-6 win. Illingworth played sparingly as the Cougars got a peek to the future of the quarterback position without him. While the backups combined for more pass attempts than Illingworth, the future Cowboy completed all eight of his pass attempts for 146 yards and two scores in the win.
The win puts Norco at 5-1 and 1-0 in league play. They’ll travel to Santiago next week to take on the 1-5 Sharks, meaning it could be another short night for Illingworth.
Brennan Presley, Athlete
Bixby continued to distance itself from literally every other team in Oklahoma with a dominant 31-0 shutout against Booker T. Washington in week six. The good news for Booker T. is that nobody has played the Spartans closer than 31 points this season, and no team has held them under 50 points either.
Presley showed out again, finishing with seven catches for 96 yards in the win. The Spartans will take on Ponca City next week and I’ll be thoroughly impressed if they can hold Bixby to less than 70 points.
Because it isn’t enough information for its own stand-alone section, but still worthy of noting: Fellow OSU commit Jordan Reagan had three tackles for Bixby in the win.
Matt Polk, Wide Receiver
Finally a new name to add to this here weekly update! Polk comes from Arizona powerhouse Saguaro, who owns a 6-1 record this season with the one loss coming to Cathedral Catholic from San Diego, CA.
As I mentioned, Saguaro is a powerhouse. The Sabercats put out plenty of Division I talent and their closest game this season other than the loss was a 38-24 win at Chaparral. Most games are blowout wins.
That was no different in a 63-14 win last week at Desert Edge. Polk finished the game with one catch for 38 yards and a touchdown. The Sabercats will have their bye week next week before taking on Marcos de Niza on the road.
- Eli Russ and Plainview picked up a win at Bethel, 63-21. Also, I’d love to see this. If anyone would recruit a lineman that could double as QB2, it’d be Gundy. That is the tightest spiral I will probably ever see from a lineman in my life.
All I need is a chance ♂️— Eli Russ (@eli_russ77) October 5, 2019
- Trent Pullen and Korie Black helped Waco Connally beat Lorena 34-24.
- Quinton Stewart and Salina Central (KS) took down Haysville Campus 47-0.
- Cade Bennett and Notre Dame Prep (AZ) beat McClintock 30-7.
- Cole Thompson and Norman lost to Broken Arrow 35-13.
- Jeff Roberson and Choctaw beat Putnam City 58-7. The Yellowjackets will take on Gunnar Gundy and Stillwater next week.
- Grant Mahon and Denton Guyer fell at home to Texas powerhouse Southlake Carroll, 46-34.
- Zach Middleton and Bishop Kelley lost to Edison 33-14.
- Monroe Mills and Father Tolton (MO) lost to Helias 33-0.