Graduate transfer point guard Mike Cunningham will leave Oklahoma State, the program announced Tuesday afternoon.
Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports first reported the news, and said Cunningham will “pursue professional opportunities.”
Cunningham, a former USC-Upstate guard, averaged eight points per contest for the Cowboys, appearing in only seven games after a leg injury kept him out of the first few games of the season.
Cunningham was suspended by OSU head coach Mike Boynton recently for a violation of team rules with no timetable to return. Last week, Boynton said Cunningham and freshman big man Kentravious Jones — who was also suspended for an unrelated violation of team rules — would be available for OSU’s game against Oklahoma last Saturday, but that didn’t necessarily mean they would play.
Cunningham last appeared in OSU’s 79-56 loss to Nebraska on Dec. 16. He was 0-for-4 in 13 minutes.
“Mike has decided that he wants to move on to the next phase of his life,” Boynton said in a statement. “We wish him well and thank him for the contributions he made in his short time with the program. The standards of Cowboy basketball will never be lowered for a short-term gain. We are building on a foundation established by Mr. Henry Iba, Bryant “Big Country” Reeves, Desmond Mason and countless others who deserve to always be proud of the way we do things in Stillwater. This year’s team, though young, will continue to take pride in who they represent.”
Without Cunningham, OSU is left without any true seniors with every player on the roster expected to return next season. Cunningham’s transfer also means half of the team will be made up of freshmen.