Cade Cunningham, the No. 1-ranked recruit in the 2020 class, is sticking with his commitment to Oklahoma State.
The five-star prospect announced his decision Monday morning in a video he shared on social media, following in step with several players and recruits during the past week that said they’d stay with the program despite the NCAA Committee on Infractions decision to ban the Cowboys from playing in the 2021 postseason.
Those sanctions stemmed from a Level I violation involving former associate head coach Lamont Evans. OSU has said it is appealing the NCAA penalties.
“Loyalty is more than a word. It’s action,” Cunningham said. “It’s standing by the people you started with. It’s showing up even when times are hard. It’s believing in the people who always believed in you. It’s a commitment. Now more than ever, I’m loyal and true. I’m committed. Stillwater, let’s work.”
Cunningham, the potential No. 1 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, committed to originally announced his commitment to OSU in November. He chose the Cowboys over Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina and Washington. His brother, Cannen, was hired as an assistant coach at OSU last June.
A 6-foot-7 point guard, Cunningham was named the Naismith High School Player of the Year after guiding Montverde Academy (Florida) to an undefeated 25-0 record. He averaged 23.8 points, 7.0 rebounds and 5.7 assists for the Texas Titans on the Nike EYBL circuit last year.
Cunningham headlines OSU’s 11th-ranked recruiting class that includes four-star forward Matthew-Alexander Moncrieffe, the top recruit from Canada.
Only two current players, Yor Anei and Hidde Roessink, have announced their intent to transfer from OSU.