Tom Hutton was nominated to the preseason watch list for the Ray Guy Award, which honors college football’s best punter by the Augusta Sports Council, on Saturday.
The Oklahoma State punter had only one touchback and only 18 punt return yards against on his 58 punts as a freshman in 2019. The 29-year-old Australian had 29 punts fair caught and 23 were downed inside the opponent’s 20-yard-line. He earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors by the league’s coaches for his efforts.
Hutton will look to be the first OSU player to win the award since Matt Fodge in 2008 when Fodge averaged 44.1 yards per punt on 31 punts with a season-long 71-yard punt.
Utah is the only school with two different winners of the award with Tom Hackett (2014-15) and Mitch Wishnowsky (2016). Baylor’s Daniel Sepulveda (2004, 2006) and Louisiana Tech’s Ryan Allen (2011-12) both won the award twice.
OSU on 2020 preseason watch lists
- Kolby Harvell-Peel (Chuck Bednarik Award, Jim Thorpe Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy)
- Chuba Hubbard (Doak Walker Award, Wuerffel Trophy, Maxwell Award)
- Tom Hutton (Ray Guy Award)
- Amen Ogbongbemiga (Lott IMPACT Trophy, Butkus Award)
- Malcolm Rodriguez (Butkus Award)
- Spencer Sanders (Davey O’Brien Award)
- Tylan Wallace (Fred Biletnikoff Award, Maxwell Award)
- Jelani Woods (John Mackey Award)